Tra Vinh University
“Bringing quality education to the community”
Tra Vinh University was formed regarding the Decision No. 141/QĐ/2006-TTg dated on June 19th, 2006 by the Prime Minister, located at No. 126, Nguyen Thien Thanh Street, Ward 5, Tra Vinh city, Tra Vinh province. Switchboard: +84.74.3855246, Website: www.tvu.edu.vn
Tra Vinh University (TVU), formerly Tra Vinh Community College was formed in 2001 under Vietnam and Canada Community College Project. The project was funded and supported technologies by Department of International Development, Canada, Canada Association of Community Colleges (ACCC), some institutes in Canada such as Saskatchewan Institute of Science and Applied Technology (SIAT), Marine Institute (MI), Québec Institute of Technology of Agriculture (ITA), and Malaspina University and College, and Vietnam Government. Vietnam and Canada Community College Project proved that Canada community college model has been able to effectively implement to Vietnam educational system.
TVU is a public university and operates under a multi-level, multi-disciplinary, multi-training method model. Through cooperation with government services, unions, socio-economic associations, institutes, businesses, recruiters, workers, and international associations, the university carries out its responsibilities such as training human resources with high quality, research and application, and providing services and jobs for people in the province and the area. Those aim at contribution to cultural and socio-economic developments of Tra Vinh province and that of Mekong delta. The university has to report and be directly responsible for its operation to the managing unit – Tra Vinh People Committee and the Ministry of Training and Education (MOET).
All programs and courses, including associate programs are designed and carried out in accordance with the developmental needs of communities under the permission of MOET.
Within ten years of its formation and development, the university gradually confirms its scale and training quality in Mekong Delta. The amount of students increases from two hundreds in the first course in July 2002 to twenty thousands in different majors. The amount of graduated students often gains 70%, especially the quantity students who can have jobs after one graduation year is 90%.
TVU offers a multi-level, multi-disciplinary, multi-training method model with certificate, short-term, long-term, college, university and post-graduate courses for people at all ages, particularly women, ethnic minorities and communities with special demands. Learners’ life-long learning demands are flexibly met. The university establishes close relationships to businesses, recruiters in order to ensure skill-oriented training meeting society’s demands and offering best employment opportunities to learners. TVU has tried on its best to be a typical university in the professional education system in Vietnam and to be internationally recognized.
“Bringing quality education to the community” is the motto of the university. With this motto, TVU has designed, developed and conducted its training programs, courses suitable for learning demands of communities. In the year 2015 - 2016, Tra Vinh University offers 3 Doctoral programs, 10 Master programs, 30 Undergraduate programs, 24 Advanced Diploma programs, and 30 Technical & Vocational Certificate programs with full-time training, associate training, part-time training and distance training. Besides, the university has designed and conducted in-service training programs according to companies’ and localities’ demands and much more widely responding to learning demands of communities since this academic year.
In addition, TVU opened its first postgraduate training course in cooperation with universities and institutes overseas in 2010. Through the cooperation with Academy of Social Science of Vietnam, TVU opened doctorate courses of different majors in the fields of Humanity and Social Sciences. Cooperating with Da Nang University, TVU organized master courses in five areas. The first international course at university level – a two-stage program of Business Administration in cooperation with Canadian University of Vancover Island was carried out. In 2011, TVU cooperated with Southern Leyte University, Philippines to organize the master course in Management for students in Tra Vinh as well as in neighboring regions. In 2012, TVU was assigned to train master level specializing in Southern Khmer Culture by the MOET.
Functions and Responsibilities
With the mission of training highly qualified human resources to meet community demands, TVU identified its specific responsibilities for designing, developing, and conducting all programs and courses meeting development needs of communities, approved by the MOET.
The university has the specific functions and responsibilities as following:
- Training in university level (Engineer, University Bachelor)
- Training in college level, which considered as three-year college (College Bachelor)
- Training in two-year college and vocational levels (Certificate)
- Training in short-term and long-term courses for certificates such as Teaching Methodology (Advanced teaching methods and approaches of Malaspina University College), foreign languages, and computing.
- Training in Master level (Master Degree)
- Cooperating with Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences to train doctorates; with Da Nang University to train Masters.
- Cooperating with the Canadian University of Vancouver Island to train a two-stage program at university level in Business Administration.
- Cooperating with Southern Leyte University, Philippines to train Master level in Management.
- Doing scientific research, technological transfer and service provision, offering in-service training for the province and region.
- Cooperating with governmental institutions, unions, socio-political organizations, educational institutions, businesses, employers, workers and international organizations in both training and research.
The headquarters in Campus I located at 126, Nguyen Thien Thanh Street, Ward 5, Tra Vinh City, Tra Vinh Province. Three others (campuses II, III, IV) located in the inner city. Currently, TVU has just inaugurated and put in use its headquarters and has invested approximately ten billions of VND in building working places for faculties, learning buildings, and labs within the area of 45 hectares in Campus I.
In 2016, the university had about 1000 teachers and staff. With the young, active and inquisitive staff, TVU has been carrying out plans of fostering, studying to improve profession.
Due to developing from the model of the community college, TVU particularly concentrates on making connections and relations with communities in order to catch the needs of the labour market, timely update diversity information in socio-economic domains and science technology aiming at enabling to keep the training fully update and meeting social demands. Recently, the university has had connections with over 400 businesses and recruiters inside and outside the province and provided contracted training regarding the business needs in many fields like garment, footwear, food processing, coconut processing and so on; called businesses, associations of fellow-countrymen for supporting students through providing annual scholarships. Simultaneously, a training advisory committee who are businesses, production enterprises, educators, educational specialists, consults each of training programs at TVU.
1. Provide training responding to the demands of labour markets
2. Implement the learner-center principle in education process, guaranteed learners to receive rights and best services from all activities of the University.
3. Expand its cooperation with businesses, employers and other national and international partners.
4. Create a public and transparent working environment, enabling all members of the University to maximize their capabilities.
5. Maintain and constantly improve the Quality Management System under ISO 9001:2008.
6. Flexibly apply the model of North American Community College, leading to be the advanced university model that can be duplicated in Vietnam.